9.30.2005

Wedding Gifts

I have wedding for a friend to go to tomorrow. My girlfriend and I are both going. Usually I spend around $40-$50 on a gift when I go solo. However, since we are both going I plan on spending around $100. Seeing as I am the last minute type, tomorrow we are going to purchase the gift. I haven't really thought about what to get this couple. I have known both of them for quite awhile, but they are one of those couple that have everything.

One thing I won't do is purchase something just because it is on their wedding gift registry. In fact, I don't even know what stores they are registered at. I've always been a person to put thought into a gift of what someone would really want. For instance, the last couple I purchased a gift for I ended up purchasing a gift card at the apple store because I knew they were going to buy a computer soon and also knew that they were most likely going to purchase a Mac. Even though I didn't know where they were going to purchase it, I knew that some money at this store would make them pretty happy and I figured they could always buy some accessory or software when they do buy the computer. I later found out that the bride and groom loved their gift!

So what to get them? I better figure this out soon!

What do you spend on a wedding gift? Am I too cheap?

6 Comments:

At 9/30/2005 08:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah man. Too cheap. Average cost is probably $75 per person. You need to increase your gift amount a little.

 
At 9/30/2005 08:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand why people feel the need to have a minimum dollar amount for wedding gifts. When my husband and I got married this past June, we were just happy for people to be there.

 
At 10/03/2005 05:05:00 AM, Blogger savvy said...

I just got married, and I don't think you are being too cheap at all. Actually, that is quite generous. I don't think the couple really cares (or at least most don't) what you spend, just that you are there.

I read in an etiquette book prior to my wedding that the so-called rule of thumb about "spend as much per person as it costs to feed you" is bogus. If the bride and groom want to break the bank, let them, and don't penalize them for being more austere.

 
At 10/07/2005 08:27:00 AM, Blogger Sean said...

I give money, usually 100 bucks. If I'm closer to the bride/groom, I'd give more.

 
At 10/10/2005 11:25:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am from New York (not the city, upstate a little) and for around here, I think that is a little too cheap. My wife and I give a minimum of $150. We do $200 for closer friends.
We had a cheap wedding here when we got married and it was still $70 a plate. I do realize that NY is way over-priced though.
Also, I would never get someone a gift for their wedding. Gifts are for the shower...$ is for the wedding. That is just how things are done here.

-RS

 
At 3/22/2007 06:26:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely needs to be upwards of $200 per couple. Where else can you go out for a formal evening with all your friends, hopefully have a great meal and listen to music that takes you back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home