8.30.2005

Smoking is The Devil!

So, I haven't posted in a couple of weeks or so regarding my personal campaign to quit smoking. I think that's because I've been pretty bad at it. I went 3 days without a cigarette and then it came time for the weekend and I broke down and had one, then another, and another. I wish I had never started!! The only good thing is that I have cut down my smoking. I'm not back to my pack a day habit.

I decided to seek more advice from people who have quit somking for at least 3 years or more and my new game plan is to establish a date after summer, weddings, and holidays that I can go a period of sustained time without smoking and really focus on it. It will also help that it will be 30 degrees out during the winter.

4 Comments:

At 8/30/2005 12:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you well, but it's incorrect thinking to say "at this date/time/event I'll really quit".

Success starts today, it starts now, it starts in your mind.

If you decide to quit, make it so. No excuses, no "when the time is right".

Throw them away, now. And don't go back, don't give in the craving, don't say "just this one".

Decide to be non-smoker, and make it so. There is no easy way.

Believe me, I know. 7 years ago, watching my wife's mother die of throat cancer was the change. I won't put my wife through that torture again.

In the end, there is no easy way to do this. It'll hurt, you'll feel like shit, you'll be cranky, pissed, etc. But you are NOT your smoking.

And as this is a financial forum, look at how much money you'll save!

Best of luck.
-f-

 
At 9/01/2005 10:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The discomfort of quitting is a lot easier than dying of cancer.

 
At 9/08/2005 10:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Bach uses smoking as a "Latte Factor(TM)" type expense. You know, $3/day means that if you invested that at 4% you'd have an extra 11 gazillion dollars over the next 47 years or something like that. Use the extra money as an extra motivator to quit.

 
At 9/10/2005 05:32:00 AM, Blogger Financial Fruition said...

Right on mbh, I did calculate this amount in this post. In it I said the following, "The FV of my smoking habit if put away for 30 years at 8% a year is $194,393.99!!!!"

Anon 1, you a quite a motivator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home