8.17.2005

Quit Smoking

Day 2 of no smoking...I thought I'd take the opportunity to explain what I do to help me when quitting cold turkey.

1) Money/Health - ALWAYS REMEMBER THE MONEY YOU ARE SAVING AND THE BENEFITS TO YOUR HEALTH FROM QUITTING SMOKING!!
2) Ibuprofen - For a couple of weeks I take Ibuprofen in the morning so that I don't get headaches, etc. throughout the day.
3) Straws - When I visit a place that has straws (McDs, diner), I grab a couple and then cut them in thirds. This works great as a fake cigarette while you are driving.
4) Gum - I chew spearmint flavored gum when I really have a craving. Somehow it helps.
5) Water - I drink a lot of water and try to stay away from cola.
6) No drinking! - If you want to have any chance of surviving the first month of quitting then you can't go out drinking. Perhaps you could once or twice in the first month, but I would tell you from experience...don't stay if you are getting the feeling of being drunk. You will not make it throught the night without a smoke.
7) Almonds - Have some kind of food that forces you to eat little pieces from your hand. I use almonds...and sometimes when I want to cheat...I use Reese's Miniatures.

All in all, quitting is very hard. If you have done it then you know what I mean. Basically, most of the above are tips to help you satisfy the oral fixation of smoking (the toughest part of quitting!).

1 Comments:

At 8/17/2005 02:50:00 PM, Blogger JLP said...

I am so glad I never got started on that habit. I had a lot of friends in high school who were smokers but I never got the urge to start.

If you need more information on habits, read Stephen Covey's "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." He says that any habit can be broken and new ones formed. He defines habit as the intersection of knowledge, skills and desire. Knowledge is the "what to, why to." Skills are the "how to." And desire is the "want to." Interesting stuff.

I wish you the best.

JLP

AllThingsFinancial

 

Post a Comment

<< Home